Friday, October 9, 2026

Vignettes

Some random funnies to share…

About 90% of the kids that attend school in London are required to wear uniforms. This is to minimize the difference between the wealthy and the not so wealthy (name brand clothing versus not, etc.).  The uniforms are very smart in appearance, but I can’t help see little Harry Potter‘s running around! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Seriously! I giggle every time I see a school boy…especially if they wear glasses! The uniforms are suit jackets, always with a tie, and dress slacksπŸ˜‚!

Kiddos on a field trip to Warwick Castle. I went to see Indian mounds. They go to castles. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Uber drivers… we’ve had the most fun with our Uber drivers since we’ve been in London! And even in Amsterdam and Belgium, although we didn’t use them much there at all. But last night, after we couldn’t make it home by tube, we got off at Earl’s Court station and dialed up an Uber. The gentleman that picked us up greeted us, got us settled, and then set out into quieter traffic seeing as how we were on the SOUTH side of the Thames. 

“I am on a phone call,” he said, “do you mind?”

We assured him we did not, and so he continued to converse in fluent French. For several minutes πŸ˜‚.  When the phone call ended, or so we thought, he began to engage with us. I asked him if he had heard anything about the demonstration scheduled for Saturday.  He hadn’t. He then asked where we were visiting from, and when we told him the United States.  After conversing about that for a time, he shared that he had come over from France about 20 years ago. I ask him what he thought about what was happening in France…

“What is happening in France?” he asked. 

πŸ˜±πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Twenty-two miles across the ‘Channel’ is France, and he doesn’t know what is happening in France?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜±πŸ˜±

“Uhh…the mass protests?” I offered.

At this point, the person he had been speaking to was obviously still on the line, and just then said something to him. I am guessing it was his wife or his girlfriend, because it was a she, and she commented she had attended a protest just the day before πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜±!

So now she was part of our conversation, even though we could not hear her. He would launch into French in between speaking to us, and we just had the greatest conversation!  But before we knew it, we had arrived at our hometel. As we got close to our drop point, he said, “Is here alright?”

“Oui,” I said. “Ici.” (Yes, here.)

He glances at me over his shoulder and reiterated, “Oui, ici.” 😱

Jumping out of the car I smiled and said, “MerΓ§i, monsieur! Au revoir et bon nunit!”  (Thank you, sir, and good night!)

As I shut the door I could hear him laughing.

 “That’ll freak him out,” I grinned to Nettie. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

“How much did you understand?” She asked. 

“Hardly anything,” I said, “but he’ll be wondering, I am sure!” πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

First glimpse of the beautiful, Brighton sea coastπŸ’•.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘! 

And now I must get ready for our date with Alan.  He is an 83-year-old man that I met on my Cosmos tour this past April. He was probably one of my favorite people on the tour, along with Michelle (California), and if you recall my posts from back then, we would always sit across from one another on the bus so so we could point out pretty things we didn’t want the other to miss. Nettie and I will take the tube up to North London again, but being it is early Saturday morning, I don’t expect nearly as many people to be on it. Alan will then walk us a safely to Covent  Garden so we can avoid the demonstration areas. It will be so nice to see him once again. 

Alan πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜Œ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

London, Covent Garden

If you recall, I had met a friend who lives in the UK while on my COSMOS Tour back in April.  He took a train down to London to meet us and ...