Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Ancient

​Just around the corner from our hometel is St. Bavo’s Cathedral, which happens to have a tall belfry…


Folks can walk around the belfry if they are hardy enough to venture up, which requires walking up the first 60 steps, then riding the remaining 180, and then walking down all 240. When I watched a travel vlog on Ghent, the gentleman spoke about the belfrey, and said it’s ‘not for the faint of heart’. Of course, that meant we had to be up for the challenge!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚


So, after purchasing our tickets, we began the trek up. I initially started to count steps, but lost track at 36. When we came to level number one, we were able to step off the very narrow and winding staircase to look around a bit at some neat ancient artifacts!

This is a view of the street level excavation, along with, I am guessing, resemblances of the people who worked at St. Bavo’s when construction was initially started in 1309.



Nettie and I both agreed that this would not be allowed in the United States, not only to protect ancient structures, but moreso due to the risk of injury!😬 when people would be coming down, we would have to step onto a little ledge and allow them to pass!πŸ˜‚

To be continued! (aka…sketch wifi kicking in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Journey

​The walk into the Square on our first day in Ghent πŸ’• Michael the Archangel πŸ‘†