Tuesday, September 29, 2026

A Quiet Morning in Ghent

​I so enjoy sitting on the sofa in the peace and solitude of early morning. We have a broad window that looks out over a canal, and it’s fun to watch the city re-awaken.  As the sun rises on the bedroom side of the hotel, it always looks slightly cloudy on the living room side, but yesterday it actually got up to 80°, and the sun was shining most of the day.  A perfect day to explore historic Ghent!


The city seems to be alive and boisterous well into the later hours of evening, but it may be more noticeable to me because I live in a rural area, so if it is happening in Missoula, I just am not there to see it πŸ˜‚.

When we finally got out and about yesterday, we realized the historic ’Square’ is just around the corner from our hometel! How fortunate are we? πŸ˜†


I have been told in the past, on a walking tour in Europe, that people were taxed on the luxuries that they could afford…windows in their homes, doors/entryways, and number of steps leading up to the entryways, believe it or not! When I see a bricked in window or doorway, I can’t help but wonder if that was to reduce the amount of their taxes.  Given these ancient cities have existed for so long, I can imagine they have had their share of corrupt rulers!

And speaking of ancient…

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Quiet Morning in Ghent

​I so enjoy sitting on the sofa in the peace and solitude of early morning. We have a broad window that looks out over a canal, and it’s fun...