Thursday, October 8, 2026

Postcards to Heaven

Throughout my travels, since my mom has passed away, I have stepped into every cathedral I happen upon to send her a ‘postcard to Heaven’ by lighting a candle if it is possible, and I’ve not yet come across an ancient cathedral that didn’t have ‘offertory’ candles to light in memories of loved ones 😌.  My mom has been sent a ‘postcard’ from Westminster Abbey, Canterbury Cathedral, the cathedral in Bari, Rome (Italy), France, Krakow, Warsaw, Prague, Czechoslovakia, Budapest, Hungary, and Vienna. And many more in between, but the names escape me just now.  Of all the places I most enjoy seeing and visiting when I am in Europe, the cathedrals rank at the very top. They just bring a sense of peace to the spirit and awe to the mind with all of the beauty, tradition, and history that is found within!  My postcards come from the heart, and in one of my Prague blogs, I mentioned that it is quite a labor of love, seeking out post offices and postal boxes in foreign countries, as they are difficult to identify.Since we’ve been here this time around, they are literally jumping out at me! πŸ˜‚ Still, it is a simple reminder that wherever I may roam, loved ones are always with me in spirit. πŸ’•

Off to Brighton this morning!  πŸ˜†πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’•

But first, an interesting experience…as we were making our way from Westminster Abbey yesterday over and across the Westminster Bridge, there was a table set up with demonstrators, asking me to sign something to ‘free Palestine’. I look the woman directly in the eye and said…respectfully, mind you,  “I will always stand with Israel.” (This was a 70-ish woman, by the way).  She nodded once in acknowledgment, and I went on my way. And then last night we received notification from the STEP department (US Gov’t ‘Secure Travelers Enrollment Program’), advising we avoid central London on Saturday because there will be mass protests by pro-Palestinian supporters.  We plan on going to Nottingham for our last day in England, so we will be much removed from that, thank Heavens. 

We visited Harrods yesterday… London’s most upscale and expensive department store. It covers five floors, and an entire city block. We kept trying to take a picture of us in front of a Harrods sign (they have 10 different entry doors!), and when we finally found one, this sweet doorman wanted to be in our selfie, so he jumped in next to us! It was so touchingly preciousπŸ˜‚. And we all had a good laugh over that afterwards.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Now…once again, off to Brighton! πŸ’•

No comments:

Post a Comment

Postcards to Heaven

Throughout my travels, since my mom has passed away, I have stepped into every cathedral I happen upon to send her a ‘postcard to Heaven’ by...